Monday 31 December 2012

New Years Eve - Balmain, Sydney

Happy New Year!

Last night I rang in the new year with a few friends in Balmain, Sydney.

We started the night at Bar Century in Sydney CBD, not the best bar, staff aren't very friendly and the crowd was a bit up themselves, but for $5 Midori's no one really cared.

I then had a million missed calls from my little sister who was out at a party, like the lovely worried sister that I am I decided I would come home. As I was sitting waiting for the train home I had a phone call to say that everything was okay.

By that stage it was 10pm, I thought I would meet up with the girls over at Balmain. I hoped in a cab to find that the road into Balmain was closed at 7pm for all cabs and everyone has to walk...NOT HAPPY JAN! From where I was dropped off to where I needed to be is almost a 3km walk, so off I went. Can I just note that I believe this is poor organisation on the police's part. I am a young girl, all by myself, not knowing where I am meant to be heading and they just let me go. They really should have run shuttle buses for the crowds.

Finally I arrvied at the park that my friends where in, got handed a drink and was happy. watched the famous Sydney Fireworks...here is a picture, this is from Darling Harbour, we were sitting on the other side of the harbour.


Finally the night was over...or so we thought, Public transport in sydney sucks! A better system needs to be developed. Once we finally got on a bus, 2 hrs after we left the park, we then had to hop on a train, which wasn't a huge wait, thank god! However the train ride was every single stop on the way home, we finally  made it to the station at 4.00am, we then joined the taxi line, we made it home at 5am and headed straight to bed. What a night!

At the end of the day, I had a drink, spent the night with some good people, and finally saw the fireworks in person. All in all, it's not the destination, it's the journey and the people you share it with!

I wish all of you a very happy new year! I hope you all celebrated it with your loved ones. Here's to a fantastic 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment